Thursday, February 01, 2018

Press Conference in Kabul, Afghanistan - Department of State

DEPUTY SECRETARY SULLIVAN: Good evening. My name is John Sullivan. I’m the Deputy Secretary of State, and I’m honored to be here this evening in Afghanistan.

Before I start my remarks I want to express on behalf of the United States government, Secretary Tillerson, myself, our deepest condolences to the Afghan people, the Afghan government, all those who have been killed, the families of those who have been killed, wounded over the senseless attacks over the last couple of weeks. It’s really been quite an emotional period here in Afghanistan for our friends and colleagues, and I’m honored to be here today to stand with them, express our condolences, but to stand with them and tell them how strong our commitment is to our partnership.

I’d like to thank President Ghani, Chief Executive Abdullah and the members of the Afghan National Security Council for hosting us today in Kabul, and for the opportunity to discuss the progress made thus far on the reforms pledged under the Afghanistan Compact.

I’d also like to thank Ambassador Bass and his terrific team here at the U.S. Embassy for supporting my visit and making this trip here possible.

I also met today with General Nicholson and met with some of our troops here in Kabul, and it’s quite apparent that we have a terrific team here, both civilian and military. - Read More

 
Press Conference in Kabul, Afghanistan - Department of State

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home