Wednesday, January 10, 2018

California mudslides death toll rises with 13 still missing

Hundreds of rescuers are combing wreckage in Southern California for more than a dozen people missing after mudslides that have killed 17 people.

Another 28 injuries have been reported in Santa Barbara County following the deluge that overwhelmed an area scorched by wildfires last month.

More than 100 homes were destroyed, and another 300 have been damaged.

One rescue worker tearfully described plucking a "muddy doll" of a toddler from under several feet of debris.

Berkeley Johnson said the two-year-old girl was taken to hospital and suffered an injury to her hip.

"I don't know how the baby survived," Mr Berkeley told the Santa Barbara Independent newspaper.

He said of his own home in the community of Montecito: "This was an hour of rain, and the house was gone."

The upmarket neighbourhood of Montecito is home to celebrities such as actor Rob Lowe, chat show host Ellen DeGeneres and media mogul Oprah Winfrey.

On Instagram, Ms Winfrey said her property had escaped the worst as she toured the scene, but described the house next door as "devastated" - Read More

California mudslides death toll rises with 13 still missing - BBC News


Post a Comment

<< Home