Friday, June 08, 2007

Afghan Forces: Rooting Out the Corruption - US News and World Report

"There was corruption and there still is corruption," Durbin says. "Corruption in many cases comes from a culture of survival. To help your family, you'll do whatever it takes." --- "Our biggest threat is time," says Durbin. "Do [the people of Afghanistan] really believe that this new government will make their days better?" The other question on their minds, says Durbin, is if they stand up to the Taliban and narco-traffickers, will their government support them? "I wouldn't stand up to the Taliban if I didn't think I could have my government back me up," he says. --- But building a quality force takes time, adds Durbin. The question, he adds, "is will Afghans wait" for that to happen? "That's our dilemma."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home